I made it through my first week back to full-time work, hustling kids to and from daycare and adjusting to our new routine. The week was exhausting. There was definitely some growing pains but I know this next week will be easier.
I spent a lot of time and energy trying to think of everything I could prepare or do to make the transition as seamless as possible this past week. I also had to adjust and adapt things as I went.
I did several things that helped the morning routine flow with ease:
- Set the coffee pot the night before and wake up to a pot of heaven in the morning. 😉
- Pack all bags the night before.
- My work bag.
- My lunch bag.
- The diaper bag for the dayhome.
- Prepare protein shake for breakfast the night before – I blend it the night before too and then just give it a quick blend in the morning to mix everything together.
- Set out my clothes the night before.
- Set out Emmett’s clothes the night before.
- Set everything by the door.
- Go to bed early.
My after work routine:
- Pick up kids from daycare.
- Feed everyone dinner, including myself.
- Play with kids and clean up kitchen.
- Bedtime routine – kids go to bed at 7PM or earlier depending on how tired they are.
- Prep for following day.
I did a lot of at home workouts this past week.
I am TIRED by the time I get to my workout. This is where I have to mentally get in the game. I LOVE to workout and even I struggle to get started when I’m tired. I tell you this so you know that you are not alone in feeling like you would rather eat a bag of hair than workout after a long day of working, parenting and organizing a household. IT IS CHALLENGING.
Starting is the hardest part. Do everything in your power to get started and the rest will come more easily. And when you get those workouts in and eat healthy on tiring days, BE SO PROUD OF YOURSELF!!!
The mental game gets better with practice. Every time you commit to working out and do it even when you don’t want to, it gets easier and easier to make that commitment each time. What you repeatedly do, becomes your lifestyle. It’s not easy sometimes but the reward is worth it.
MONDAY – HOME
- P90X Chest & Back
- P90X Ab Ripper
TUESDAY – HOME
- P90X Plyometrics
WEDNESDAY – HOME
- P90X Shoulders & Arms
THURSDAY – Jog
- Jog 5 Miles
FRIDAY – REST DAY
SATURDAY – SWIM
- Standard Warm up (100 Bk, 500 Fr, 100 One-Arm Fly, 100 Br Pull Only, 100 Reverse IM)
- 400 1-Arm Fly
- 4 X Mountain IM (25 Fly, 50 Bk, 75, Br, 100 Fr)
- 4 X 200 Fr w/ Fins & Paddles :20s rest
- 2 X 200 Free (No equipment)
- 200 Cooldown
[Total Distance: 3300 m]
SUNDAY – GYM
- CIRCUIT 1 (4 Rounds):
- Run 1 Mile
- 100 Skips
- 50 KB Mason Twists (15 lb. Kettle Bell)
- 25 KB Swings (30 lb. Kettle Bell)
- 20 Wall Balls (14 lb. Ball)
- 15 Push-ups
- 5 Pull-ups
- CIRCUIT 2 (4 Rounds):
- 15 Weighted Back Extensions
- 30 Hanging Crunches (L-Center-R)
- Sweet Chili Coconut Chicken Breasts
- Used this recipe from Iowa Girl Eats as inspiration.
- Chicken Breasts
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 1/2-3/4 cup Sweet Red Chili Sauce
- Grease baking pan and line with chicken breasts.
- Season w/ salt & pepper.
- Combine coconut milk and chili sauce and pour over chicken.
- Bake @ 400 for approx 50 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime.
- Turkey Burgers
- 2 lbs. ground Turkey Breast
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2-1 cup Almond Flour
- Garlic Powder
- Red Onion, chopped
- Epicure Selection’s Herb & Garlic Dip Mix
- Mix everything together.
- Form into patties and cook on frying pan lightly greased with olive oil.
- Sweet Potatoes
- Drizzle with Olive Oil.
- Season w/ salt & pepper
- Bake @ 400 for ~30 minutes, until tender.
- Basmati Rice
- Brocolli & Cauiflower
- Roasted w/ olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Brussel Sprouts
- Roasted w/ olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Raw Almonds
- Protein Shakes (Dry Ingredients – protein powder, shredded coconut, chia seed)
- Cut some Lara Bars in half for easy grab and go snack portions.
- Overnight Oats
- 1/3 cup quick oats, 1 tsp. shredded coconut, 1 tsp. vanilla, sprinkle of cinnamon, 1 tsp. coconut palm sugar or maple syrup, frozen blueberries, almond milk.
- Mix everything together and put it in the fridge overnight!
- You can warm this up or eat it cold – both ways are awesome.
Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian friends!! I hope everyone had a nice long weekend and enjoyed some delicious food, time with family and friends, and a moment or two spent in gratitude and contentment for the abundance life has to offer.